A trip to Bangor!

On Thursday, the 22nd of August 2013, I decided to venture into Wales on the search for loaned DAF DB250/East Lancs Lowlander with Arriva Bangor. The bus was on testing all last week, whilst Bangor allocated VDL SB200 Wright Commander, 2506 went to Midlands Leicester depot. Despite the bus not being out in service, and parked in the wrong way in the depot, I still had an enjoyable day.

The first journey was a surprise to me, as it was Winsford's newest allocation in the form of DAF DB250 ALX400 4017, S207 JUA.
Arriva Winsford S207 JUA operating the 29 journey to St Johns. 

This journey was the 07:31 towards Northwich from the Grange Estate. Not surprisingly, as it's from Wythenshaw depot, it was in a shabby state, with graffiti on the seats and plastics, with Manchester adverts present as well as the Greater Manchester partnership sticker next to the doors. 

That journey is a strange one, The driver gets 8 mins less to get to Northwich Bus Interchange, As on School days, it needs to get to Leftwich High School before 8am. The bus picked up speed fast, but was rattled a lot, unlike most DLAs I've ridden! 

After alighting at Wharton Church at 07:44 it was time to walk to Winsford Railway Station, in time for the 08:08 London Midland service to Crewe. I payed my fare of £14.00 for a Child Return to Llandudno Junction, But with a twist, I wasen't using the return half until chester! 

Whilst waiting for my train, The 08:05 to Liverpool arrived in the form of 350/2, 350259.
350259 Entering Winsford platform 2 on 1F32.
My train arrived a few minutes later,
350267 Entering Winsford on 1L75
After arriving into Crewe, I headed to the Chester platform for my Arriva Trains Wales service to Chester.
Arriva Trains Wales 150258 on 1D52.

I arrived into Chester 10 minutes before my next train, Which was the 08:55 towards Holyhead, The train was operated by 175107, And wasn't too busy, friendly on board staff too! The the trolley food on Arriva Trains Wales services I find to be cheap, I paid 80p for a "Grab" Bag of Quavers..!  Once arriving into Llandudno Junction, Which a small grotty station, with 4 platforms, I had 40 minutes to wait for my mate to arrive. Therefore, I took the time to take two photos.
Arriva Buses Wales 2331, T561 JJC on a 13.
Arriva Buses Wales 0911, X242 PGT at Llandudno

My mate arrived on the 13 towards Llandudno, on-board VDL SB120 Wright Cadet, 2482. We then walked to the bus stop where the 5 series of buses stop. I rather like route 5, the buses are every 15 minutes to Caernarfon via Bangor and depending on what route, Stop in different Welsh villages along the way. Our bus was Wright Commander CX54 EPN, 2507. We had that bus on route X5 which, After leaving Llandudno and Deganwy, Stops at Conwy, Penmaenmawr, and Bangor. I did find it a shame that Bangor depot had limited the Commanders to 55 Mph, as before hand, when they were based at Wrexham Depot, they had no limiters.

We arrived into Bangor at 11:45. As the sun was in the completely wrong place, I didn't manage to take many photos. We decided to head to the Depot, too look if we could see the Loanded Lowlander. To do this, we had to board the 78, Which is a 10 minute up hill climb using Dennis Dart 0833, X273 RFF.
X273 RFF in Bangor on route 78 to Maesgeirchen.

After arriving in the estate of Measgierchen, we looked for the path which leads to the depot, But before we would it, A Padarnbus Optare Solo arrived...
Padarnbus 362 in Maesgeirchen on route 75

After walking to the depot, We annoyingly found that the Lowlnader was parked backwards, so had no chance of photoing it. We did ring up to ask the depot for a visit, but unfortunately, the depot were busy on that particular day.

Present in the depot was also Volvo Olympian R239 AEY, A Cadet, A withdrawn dart and 0818.

Express Motors Enviro400 in Bangor on route 1 to Porthmadog
We headed back into Bangor on the 78, Which was X273 RFF again, and managed to get some shots.
Padarnbus 323 in Bangor.
It was time to head back towards Llandudno, And we did so on the X5, Which was operated by Wright Commander CX05 AAN, 2513. Again, this bus was limited to 55. After arriving back into Llandudno, A DLA Arrived on the 12, And one of the friends I was with got on it, It was S280 JUA, 4140.
S280 JUA in Llandudno.


My other mate and I decided to get the 13 to Prestatyn, Which came a few minutes late, But the bus put a smile on both our faces, It was ticking dart T561 JJC, 2331! We were happy to ride this on the alternative to the 12 which goes via Colwyn Bay and Abergele, but misses Rhyl and goes further to Prestatyn. We met up with our other friend in Prestatyn, Where we saw D171 FYM operating the last 1 Journey.
D171 FYM in Prestatyn

Our bus back to Chester came 10 minutes late in the form of  CX61 CDK, 4483 on the 11G. We arrived into Chester at 1920 and walked to the Railway Station. 

My train was the 1955 Service to Crewe only and once again was operated by 150258. 

I arrived into Crewe to Find Colas Rail 56302 dead on Platform 10..
56302
It was then time to Conclude my day, on-board 350117 on the 20:32 to Liverpool.

It was a very enjoyable day! Hope you enjoy my first blog on this site!


Comments