Getting to know Stephen Woods

Today's Blog Post is about myself, my opinions and memory's of the Hobby. Apologies for the delay in writing up the blog post, this was due to be written up last Sunday but unfortunately did not have time to write the post up. 

What is your Favourite Type of Bus of all Time?

My personal favourite type of bus is basically a fight between the Wright Eclipse Urban and the Wright Axcess Ultralow, the reason because of this is they are both excellent types of bus models and generally feel like they are built to last no matter how old they become. A prime example of this is ex First West Yorkshire R454 JFS. 


Here we have a Connexions Buses Wright-Axcess Ultralow R454 JFS in Keighley at the Spring Keighley Bus Museum event today (Sunday 26th April)
What is your Favourite Type of Bus thats still in Service?

My personal favourite type of bus that is still in service are the Wright Axcess-Flolines at Stagecoach Rockferry Depot on the Wirral, the few they still have in service from the ex First Chester and Wirral days are smashing buses and I quite enjoy having a ride on one if I am in Merseyside particularly on routes 1 and 2. 

Here we have a Stagecoach Wright Axcess-Floline X265 USH 28539 at Chester Bus Exchange before starting a journey to Liverpool. Credit to my colleague Terence Price.

What type of Bus did you like the Least?

This was a rather difficult question as I have sampled many different types of buses over the years and have decided on one model, the Mercedes Vario Plaxton Beaver, the reason I say this is because they are too cramped if the vehicle is full and I have many a memory in my schools days standing up on one of these after school on the way home in Chester when First Chester had several of these in services on services 51 and 53. 

What Current Bus Operator do you like the most? 

My favourite bus operator has to be Stagecoach, the reason for this is that the fleet is generally to a modern standard with the exception of a few buses here and there throughout there operations and the fares are also generally cheaper and offer value for money whenever I have boarded a Stagecoach operated service. 

Here we have a Stagecoach Merseyside (Chester) Enviro300 PO12HTE 27780 at Chester Bus Exchange preparing for a X8 to Liverpool via Ellesmere Port and Bromborough.

What Bus Livery do you like the Most?
  
This is another rather difficult question and I have to say I like the Stagecoach corporate livery the best particularly if there is a slight variation of the livery like the hybrid buses have in Greater Manchester with there tone of green swoops instead of the red and orange swoops.

What is your Favourite Childhood Memory?

My favourite childhood memory was when I lived in North Wales and I used to always go out with my Dad on a Saturday shopping to Holywell - the closest town from where I lived and each Saturday we would always get on an Arriva Rhyl Dennis Dart SLF on the old 11 route well before the tacograph rules applied on the route these days. Back then the buses were excellent and I used to love the sound the engine made going up the hill into Holywell. My mum has also driven buses for most of my lifetime so there is another reason why I am a bus enthusiast today. 

FIRST IN BRADFORD UPDATE

Also be warned for people living in the Bradford and surronding areas, First drivers based at the Bradford depot are striking on Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th April. The majority of First services in and out of Bradford City Centre will be affected with the exception of the 72, 508, 571, 576 and the X63/363 except the 0545 from Bradford which will not run. For more information see here.

As ever I hope you enjoyed reading through my blog post and stay tuned as during the next few days I will be writing a blog post up about the double open day at the Transdev Keighley and the Keighley bus museum depots on Sunday 26th April.  
 

Comments